Applicants must meet one of the following conditions :
- Those who have obtained or are expected to obtain a master’s or a professional degree
- Those who have obtained or are expected to obtain a degree equivalent to a master’s or a professional degree at an educational institution outside Japan
- Those who have obtained or are expected to obtain a degree equivalent to a master’s or a professional degree within Japan through correspondence courses offered by a foreign educational institution
- Those who have completed or are expected to complete a course, which is recognized by the Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology –Japan (MEXT) to be equivalent to an postgraduate course in a foreign country, at a foreign educational institution in Japan (文部科学大臣指定外国大学（大学院相当）日本校) and have obtained or are expected to obtain a degree equivalent to a master’s or a professional degree
- Those who have completed or are expected to complete a course offered by the United Nations University and have obtained or are expected to obtain a degree equivalent to a master’s degree
- Those who have engaged in research at a university or a research institution for a minimum of two years after graduating from a university, and approved by the Graduate School based on their achievement as having the academic ability equivalent to or higher than a master’s degree holder
- Those who have been screened individually for eligibility and approved by the Graduate School and are aged 24 or older
- Eligibility (1) to (5) include persons who are expected to obtain a specified degree by the month of enrollment (April or October).
- Completion of a 6-year university course in medicine, dentistry, or pharmacology cannot be interpreted as completion of a Master’s Program, and in no way secures eligibility to apply for this Doctoral Program.
- If you wish to apply under Eligibility (6) or (7), you need to request an individual eligibility check prior to your application. Please submit the following items to the Admissions Office of your university of choice at least one month before the first day of the Application Period.
① Request Form for Eligibility Check 入学資格認定申請書 (Form provided)
② Eligibility Check Form 入学試験出願資格認定審査調書 (Form provided)
③ A certificate of graduation and a transcript issued by the most recently attended school
④ Document(s) presenting research achievements
- Eligibility (6) – An academic thesis, a research report, a research product such as a patent, etc.
- Eligibility (7) – A work equivalent to a master’s thesis
* We may request additional items
For Working Adults
(1) Duration of Study
While the standard duration of study for this Program is three years, to promote a favorable academic environment for working adults, a special provision to extend the study period beyond three years may be granted so long as the extended period does not exceed twice the period of the regular duration of study.
(2) Academic and Research Guidance
When considered necessary, special arrangements can be made, such as holding classes and research guidance sessions in the evening, changing times or durations, etc., pursuant to the special measures in Article 14 of the Standards for the Establishment of Graduate Schools.